Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Diana of Ephesus


Hail Artemis Diana
Blessed Lady of the Beasts
I dedicate myself to you.

May my path honor thee
May my spirit celebrate thee
May my life force magnify thee

These things I pray
Be fulfilled this day
Goddess Mother help me
To know what is right.

The Goddess Diana is one of many goddesses I worship. My first worshiping statue I received was of her. The reason being, my family works with animals often. Diana is the goddess of the hunt, but also the goddess of animals. 

She is the goddess of the hunt, wild animals, the moon, fertility and childbirth. She was a virgin goddess and was often thought to despise men. She is queen of the open sky and her brother Apollo is the sun god. In mythology, she led men into battle and aided in the hunt. She was also the mother of Aradia, the Queen of the Witches. Diana was honored for her physical strength and independence. 

Sacred Animals
Deer
Bears
Hunting Dogs
Sacred Plants
Apple 
Balm 
Beech 
Jasmine 
Mugwart 
Oak 
Vervain 
Wormwood

Diana has a festival on August 13th, where she is invoked to protect the harvest from autumn storms. Held during the hottest time of the summer, just before it starts to cool. Diana is depicted during these festivals with her holding a torch, symbolizing her fiery nature. 

Tonight, I plan on simply lighting a white candle in honor of Diana, and meditate on her symbolism. 



No comments:

Post a Comment